IGOR by Tyler The Creator: A review


IGOR by Tyler The Creator: A review


         


On May 17th 2019 California rapper Tyler The Creator released his fifth studio album titled IGOR. Tyler who was once known by his fans (and UK authorities) as a violent and vulgar rapper has taken a much softer approach in recent times regarding his music. This new façade was shown in his 2017 album Flower Boy where he mixed jazzy sounds with his hip-hop rap. IGOR is a cross between his softer jazzy tones that can be heard in Flower Boy and the heavy bass that can be heard in Cherry Bomb (one of his earlier works). The album, which was entirely produced by Tyler himself, reached the top spot in the Billboard 200 album chart, above DJ Khaled’s Father of Asahd (Khaled was not very happy with this result).

Personally, Tyler has become one of my favourite rappers because of his authenticity and refusal to conform to generic rapper stereotypes. There was a time when I didn’t like his earlier works Goblin and Cherry Bomb very much but having matured, I can now appreciate the effort that Tyler had put into those albums and the stories that they tell. So far in 2019 IGOR is a part of my top 10 albums. From what I know of his career, Tyler's music and fashion have been progressing and slowly becoming more mainstream. I think that I speak for many of his fans when I say that I hope Tyler does not give up his unique sounds for a more mainstream sound in order to reach a larger audience. As an album IGOR is a pleasure to listen to and is one of his best yet.

My favourite songs from the album:
EARFQUAKE
RUNNING OUT OF TIME
A BOY IS A GUN
GONE, GONE / THANK YOU
ARE WE STILL FRIENDS?

K. Iruwa

       
    
         

Comments

Popular Posts