A Short Summary of My Experience at AFWL 2019 


sldier-7.jpg

Via Africa Fashion Week

AFWL (Africa Fashion Week London) is an annual African fashion event held in London which was founded by Ronke Ademiluyi. The event is centred around the promotion of African and African-inspired fashion. Over the course of two days catwalk shows, exhibitions, business forums and food halls are all used to showcase African and African-inspired talent. This year’s catwalk shows were hosted by British-Nigerian presenter and journalist, Mercy Ajisafe 

I was given the opportunity to work as a volunteer for both days. As a young African who doesn’t necessarily experience African culture daily, I found AFWL very refreshing. Being surrounded by Africans who wanted to uplift and support each other was very inspiring and made me want to do more to be involved in African fashion. Seeing the vibrant colours that are often present in African clothing, smelling the different smells of African products in the boutique area and the smells of African food in the food hall felt so welcoming and familiar. 
I worked in the VIP section where I got to meet a few influencers, actors and singers. We were graced with the presences of influencers such as Afrobeats promoter, Smade and TV and radio presenter, Bisi Akins. I also met and spoke with actress, Chizzy Akudolu and singer and reality TV celebrity, Sandi Bogle. 

Generally, I felt it was a good experience that I learnt a few valuable lessons from and during the catwalk shows I witnessed some truly inspiring and extraordinary designs. I would love to be involved in the event again next year, especially as the organisation will be celebrating its 10th anniversary. 

K. Iruwa 


Comments

Popular Posts